samedi 14 juillet 2007


Lee Hazlewood
13 (1972, 1999 edition)
320


I really dig Lee Hazlewood. Many have said this is his most polarizing album. Most of Lee's work seems to do that. You either get Mr. Lee or you don't. I got him from day one. This album is one of his more intriguing efforts, but, most importantly, it's damn good. Lee goes bubblegum with a brilliantly arranged horn section, or disco, as some have said. I prefer bubblegum. The horns are arranged by Larry Marks, who has done music for Saturday morning cartoons. You hear Larry on many tracks howling, or as Lee puts in it in the liner notes, a "descent into uncontrolled lycanthropy". I really like this album a lot. I love bubblegum music, and Lee's voice really works well in this setting. The best songs are You Look like a Lady, Hej Me I'm Riding, and Ten or Eleven Towns Ago. It's a short album (only 25 minutes), but it's a great 25 minutes with no bad songs. Another gem from Hazlewood.

1. You Look Like A Lady
2. Tulsa Sunday
3. Ten or 11 Towns
4. Toosie and the River
5. She Comes Running
6. Rosacoke Street
7. I Move Around
8. And I Loved You Then
9. Hej, Me I'm Riding

link in comments